Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Garam Masala lentils and potatos

I made this for the family I work with last week and they found it to be yummy so I wanted to try it myself! I love how hearty it is and that it gave me another recipe to use the garam masala I bought for one of our other recipes and thought you ladies may enjoy it as well! It is a vegetarian dish and makes quite a large pot. They served it beside some basmati rice although that wasnt really neccesary.

Ingredients
1 lb brown lentils
1 1/2 lbs russet potato, peeled and diced
2 onions, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
2 yellow or red peppers
1/2 c cilantro
3/4 cup slivered almonds
Directions
1.In large Saucepan combine 4 cups water, lentils, potatos, onions, diced tomatoes, salts,garam masala, cumin and pepper. Cover reduce heat to med low and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. stir occaionsally. Add yellow or red peppers and simmer additional 5 minutes. stir in cilantro and sprinkle with almonds and serve.

2 comments:

Eva said...

This really sounds good. I am looking forward to making it!

Rachel said...

Sounds yummy & easy!!!