Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Friday, January 25, 2013

Grain Free Hot Cereal

Oatmeal is something that I knew we would miss in a grain free lifestyle.  When I looked around online for an alternative I wasn't happy with what I found so I combined ideas from 2 or 3 different recipes and made my own.  The first time I made it I didn't know what to expect from my family. I was so happy when everyone MMMM'd and YUUUUMM'd their way through breakfast and then wanted more!
Grain Free Hot Cereal
Yield: 4 servings

1 cup almond meal
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup apple cider

Put apples, raisins, cinnamon and cider in a small sauce pan on medium heat, stirring occasionally.  In a medium sauce pan mix almond, flax and chia seeds. Pour coconut milk and vanilla over the mixture and mix well.  When apples are just tender, remove them from heat and place the almond mixture on the heat. Pour apple mixture into the almond mixture. Heat just until warm, it does not need to cook. Serve immediately with your choice of milk poured over it.

No comments: