Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Monday, December 29, 2008

Broccoli Cheese Soup Review

I have one and a half recipes to report on... you know how the lamb meatball soup turned out at our house. I made the herb drop biscuits to go with spaghetti and turkey meatballs and they were so good! I made the recipe just like it says but I also added a couple cloves of fresh garlic as well. The biscuits were a real hit! Four thumbs up!

Now for the broccoli soup and sourdough. We LOVED the soup! I added more veggies than the recipe calls for, this is because I don't use measuring cups and because I always add more veggies anyway. For the soup, I had made the starter ahead of time. The first batch of bread wasn't that good. It didn't SEEM like sourdough. The second batch I left the sponge out even longer and it was a bit more sour but still nothing special. I don't feel as committed to it as Staci, wow that was impressive (five batches in a row). I did make the soup and put it in bowls on the second batch. I divided the dough this time and made four small bowls. Andy & I had our soup in two of the bowls and then served crab dip in one of the other small loaves for a Christmas party. When we had the soup leftovers I blended a little more than half of it to make it more smooth. I liked that best. All-in-all, I liked the bread but next time I want sourdough I will go buy it at a bakery from someone who has the recipe down. We loved the soup and will certainly be making that again! Four thumbs up!

Now I am caught up, YEAH!!! Bring it on Tisha!

1 comment:

Cahill Clan said...

Rachel,
I agree, the original first bread didn"t SEEM sourdough to me either. So, I researched it and found that sourdough bread actually means a bread that is made with a starter and the "sour" taste has little to do with sourdough. I found that funny. And as a side note I have kept my starter going and it is finally getting that sourdough flavor I was hoping for. Call me crazy but I am really enjoying having the starter onhand because it makes such a quick and easy hearty loaf of bread. Just thought I'd share!