Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pad Thai = delicious!!!

I was so excited to see this recipe! Katrina and I are huge Thai fans and tend to eat 1-2 meals of that cuisine weekly. I love that this recipe has a more authentic approach then many I have tried. However, I did change a few things up. I agree that the only way to make the sauce is using tamarind and not a store bought bottle, the flavor is soooo different!! So, I did most of the recipe as stated except the noodles. I have been learning many tricks from a neighbor of mine that was raised in thailand and although she has taught me how to make pad thai I tried this recipe. I made the meat (or tofu in my case) and sauce and set in a bowl, then reheated my wok. For my noodles I placed them in a microwavable dish, covered them with water and cooked them 5 minutes. When they came out they were cooked and i drained the remaining liquid off and then tossed them in the hot wok with a bit of oil and vinegar before adding the sauce back. I really like the extra flavor the vinegar trick adds.!

I don't know that I will do this specific recipe again not because it isn't good but, because I will be more likely to use the one in my head then pull this up.

FYI--totally worth finding palm sugar but if that is not possible, a little white or brown sugar does work in a pinch!

No comments: