Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

give it away give it away give it away now......

I made the Pumpkin Bread and Birth Soup yesterday and took your advice! I made my Pumpkin bread in my stone mini muffin pan which makes 4 loaves. So, before I had even cut into the first loaf I gave 2 others away and promised the 3rd to my sister. The house smelt (is that a word, besides a fish?) like heaven! Once I had safely removed the extra loaves from the house I sliced my first piece in anticipation of an out of this world experience. I was not disappointed!!! Oh my goodness! I am so glad I gave those other two away before tasting it or I am certain I would have kept them all to myself and eaten every crumb! What a winner of a recipe!

As for the soup, I also took advice and read posts saying that the soup was good but needed a bit of a kick. So, for that I made a half recipe, but used the full amount of garlic and used chicken stock to cover and cook potatoes rather than water. I think the only other change I made was adding a turnip in with the potatoes and using a frozen veggie mix that also had green beans in it. I LOVED THIS SOUP!!! I thought the flavor was awesome and such a comfort food instantly. I can see why some may have wanted to spice it up a bit but I had no need for that. The only thing I can think of is that using the stock added more salt which brougtht out more flavor or I used fresh basil and can see that if you used dry you may not have the same outcome. This is not a spicy soup but I did think mine had lots of flavor and enjoyed having a soup that had a depth of flavors. I could actually taste the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, etc. and enjoyed it! I will certainly make this again! Thanks Rachel!

5 comments:

carrie said...

I like the chicken stock idea, I actually thought of that after the fact and think I'll do it next time.

Nikki said...

I used the mini loaf stone too but i had hard time getting them out and 2 out of the 4 came out in peices. If you didn't have this problem what did you do that I didn't?

stacita said...

I love your title, Stacey. :)

Cahill Clan said...

Nikki, I have a very well seasoned stone and that is my secret. For yours to be like that I suggest making meatloaf in it a few times and greasing it with shortnening prior to baking. Once it is well seasoned and starts felling smooth iside rather than like sandpaper you should be able to stop seaoning it. If you need more ideas let me know! Hey- you should come to my Pampered Chef party Tueday night!

Nikki said...

Thanks Stac! What a good reason to make more meatloaf!