Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kebabs, Rice, Tomatoes

Staci and I (Carrie) did this recipe together with the kids and my parents. It's so fun to have someone to cook with sometimes and of course to share in the cleanup!

So we have to admit we were a little disappointed with the rice. Some of you who reviewed this talked up the rice so much that I at least was expecting angels to sing when I took a bite. Our rice turned out like this, Brown and crunchy on bottom, I'm assuming that was supposed to stay in the pan but my Dad scraped it up and mixed it with the rest, the rest was not really done tasting and there was really only a hint of flavor. It seemed to us we could have got a more flavorful rice by just cooking it the normal way and throwing in some butter. We do however know it could be a problem with our cooking and thought we should give it a try in the future in an even smaller pan. Cause our overdone underdone finished product does not sound at all like the rest of the reviews.

The chicken though was great, lots of flavor and I'm not a huge onion fan but I liked them! Staci didn't give in to my whining of too many onions and she was right. :) We thought it absorbed a lot of flavor even though we forgot to marinade it in the morning so it only had about 2 hours in the marinade, and I didn't read the recipe through so it marinaded with the butter and paprika :) It was good though and I'd definitely make it again. My Mom thought it all would be good with a sauce and Staci suggested maybe a lemon pan sauce.

The tomatoes were delicious and freshly picked from the garden which makes them all the better. Katrina (Staci's little girl) wanted to eat them all herself.

We will both definitely do this recipe again and even give the rice a second try. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

uh oh. Doesn't sound like it turned out right. Definitely make the kebabs by the recipe (with correct amount of time to marinate) before you do a sauce to add with it. It is really flavorful when you do it right, and moist from the butter that you brush on them. I think that it would be too much with a sauce. Good luck next time!

Rachel said...

LOL! What a comedy of errors! I agree with Alyssa, try it again without the sauce because both times we have made it we didn't want anything different - it was perfection!

Cahill Clan said...

I will add my two cents here rather than an entirely new post. I agree with the rice but am eager to try it again. I loved the chicken! Even with our "substitutions" (that is better than mistakes right) I loved the flavor. Our thought on adding a sauce had nothing to do with lack of flavor or moistness. I think it stemmed from wanting to add something to the rice not the chicken. All in all I will be making this again!