Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Moroccan Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes

I really love this recipe. I hope you gals do too! Sorry I am a litte late.



Ingredients
Serves 4
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 piece fresh ginger (2 inches long), peeled
1 cinnamon stick
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
Pinch of saffron (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup couscous
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish (optional)

Directions
Place flour in a wide, shallow bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in flour, shaking off excess. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken, and cook until browned, 4 to 6 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
Add onion, ginger, and cinnamon to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Add broth, sweet potatoes, and, if using, saffron. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sweet potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard ginger and cinnamon. Stir in lemon juice, and season stew with salt and pepper.
While stew is simmering, prepare couscous according to package instructions. Serve chicken stew with couscous, garnished with cilantro, if desired.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Yummy!!! Makin' this on Thursday!

stacita said...

Oh, I may even make this one! Yum.

Michelle said...

OK I made this stew. I thought it was really good but a bit sweet. It may have been my fault because I did not use fresh ginger and I had no idea what the powder ginger measurements were compared to the real ginger (if that made and sense). So I put in 1/4 teaspoon. I also wasn't sure if the couscous was to go in the soup or on the side. So I put it on the side. After I realized the soup was a bit sweet I decided to pour the big chucks of potato some broth and some chicken over the couscous with a lot of salt and a dash of pepper. That was the trick. It was tasty and my husband ate two bowls.