Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Lentil Bolognese

Happy Spring! It's official now, thank goodness! I am always happy when the first day of spring comes and goes. Just closer to summer! With that said, the recipe I have chosen really is kind of a fall winter meal, and it's not necessarily new and exciting but I recently tried it and really loved it. I wanted to share it because it is a healthy and delicious alternative to a regular beef bolognese. Less fat, too and it is a good one to have in your repertoire. In the cookbook that I found this it says to serve it with pasta, as a crepe stuffing or a sauce for vegetables. I served it with polenta and it was SO good!

Lentil Bolognese

Serves 6

1 Onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrots, coarsely grated
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 T. olive oil
2/3 C. red lentils
1- 14oz. can chopped tomatoes
2T. tomato paste
2 C. stock
1T. fresh marjoram, chopped or 1t. dried marjoram
salt and ground black pepper

1. In a large saucepan , gently fry the onion, garlic, and celery in the oil for about 5 minutes, until they are soft.

2.Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, marjoram, and seasoning.

3. Bring the mixture to a boil then partially cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until thick and soft.

2 comments:

carrie said...

Wow can't believe another recipe is posted! Looks good though, I've never done polenta but think I'll try to go with this recipe.

Rachel said...

This recipe sounds so good, my mouth is watering!