Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Monday, August 11, 2008

Mango-Lime Parfait Disaster . . . and Other Related Stories


I am back on schedule with the recipes! I am please to report that I tried the Mango Rice Salad with Grilled Shrimp. It was very nice, and very pretty. I couldn't get any fresh cilantro, and I missed it sorely. It was still very good, though. My shrimp turned out quite salty, but once they were mixed in with the salad they were fine. The fish store was closed, so I had to use pretty small little shrimp that I had in my freezer. That might be why they turned out so salty, but they worked just fine. A great, fresh meal, perfect for these hot days.
About the dessert . . . I realized only after all the stores had closed for the evening that I never got the corn syrup. So, I made the syrup without it. That was okay, not ideal, but okay. We went to get some vanilla gelato to take back home. It wasn't super frozen and by the time we got home it was pretty melted. I put it in the freezer while I made the syrup, but that wasn't good enough. When I was scooping it out, it was the consistency of cool whip. Hmmm . . . I still made them, although it was like Mango-Lime Soup. My husband still liked it. We agreed the the recipe was great. All the tastes were so nice and yummy and refreshing together. I think we'll have to try it again as an ice cream dessert rather than a soup.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Nice picture!

stacita said...

I enjoyed the title - It made me laugh outloud. :)

carrie said...

Closed stores! What would I do in the middle of the night when I realize we need milk...or chocolate...or a frozen pizza!