Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Friday, March 6, 2009

FABULOUS Flank Steak! (Severns Review)

Tonight I made the flank steak and spinach torta. I followed the recipes exactly like they read. We really liked the torta however it was more work and dirty dishes than I normally prefer for a routine meal. Andy liked it but thought it lacked flavor however I liked the nutmeg. Also Andy & I thought the crunchy edges were nice. I think that we enjoy a spinach quiche as much or more and it's a lot less work so probably won't make this one again.
The steak on the other hand will be made repeatedly. We thought it was like eating candy. The flavor was amazing and it melted in my mouth. I have never prepared flank steak before and although it was a bit more spendy than I usually get, I do think I'll buy it again. The kids meat I cooked medium-well but Andy & I ate ours medium-rare. Overall the meal was a big hit but next time I'll make a quiche instead of the torta to cut down on time and dirty dishes. FOUR THUMBS UP!

2 comments:

carrie said...

I agree that it can dirty quite a few dishes! I tend to make it in two steps-spinach steamed and rice cooked in the morning then thrown in and cooked with the butter and onions. Then mixing it all and cooking it at dinner. Glad you liked the steak!

Rachel said...

...ya know, I think I'll try this recipe again. Now that I've had some time to think of how to simplify the steps I will make it again by cutting some corners.