Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Torta and Flank Steak

Ok you caught me another lie.... i hope this doesn't become a habit.... I did skip the sloppy joes to make this recipe. B ut in my defense this is a recipe that has been a staple in my repitoire for years.
Here is my take on the torta... I love it obviously, and usually cut the salt in the spinach and the butter down. I have substitiuted panko crumbs as well as cracker crumbs for the bread with decent results although my favorite is to use a great crusty loaf for dinner one night and the leftovers for this the next. I have also changed up the spinach to use, kale, swiss chard, and various other greens. I love the swiss chard in it!!!
As for the steak, well... here is this story,
I had everything for the steak marinade but the sherry. I asked my bachelor neighbor if he happened to have some and he laughed and asked what the heck I was talking about. When I told him the recipe I was going to make he promptly got up, ran to the store and came back with sherry.... and a steak! He asked me to throw his steak in with ours because it sounded so good! We only mairnated it for about 3 hours and then grilled it! FABULOUS!!! He did a new york strip steak, i did flank and we tried each others and agree it was great with either! In fact we re doing it again tonight! YUMM-O

1 comment:

stacita said...

I love this story! :) Chic chefs - bringing neighbors together at the grill.