Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Catching up

Just wanted to catch up on the blog! I have had a really busy but fun week so I haven't been able to check on the rest of you Chic Chefs! As I mentioned before I live in Walla Walla Washington which has become quite the wine country! It is really fun to learn a lot more about the grapes and the process in building a good wine. I got an opportunity to help a local (and in the top three for the best wineries around) winery with their bottling this week. It was very interesting. I thought that you all might think so, too. There were about 12 people involved and it was like a factory assembly line. One person puts the empty bottles on the convayer belt, then after the machine fills the bottle, adds oxygen to the top and corks it, two people are waiting on the other side to put the little tin foil on the top. Then the machine seals the foil, puts the lable on and two more people are waiting to drop the finished bottles into the cases and sends the case down to be stamped, labled, and stacked on pallets awaiting their shipping to stores and restaurants! The best part is that I got to chat with the winemaker all day and get paid in wine!!!! The winery is called L'Ecole No 41 check out their web site, lecole.com.
Anyway... my week day meals depend a lot on the season and I also like to try new recipes often, but here is a sample:

Chicken and sauteed vegetables (with different seasonings each time)
Burritos
Spaghetti
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup
Beef or chicken enchiladas
A crock pot recipe ( I love the crock pot)
Nachos (tortilla chips, cheese, refried beans,chicken or beef, lots of fresh vegetables and salsa)
Soup in the winter

The "house salad" in my kitchen is organic baby greens, shredded carrot and sunflower seeds with your choice of dressing and sometimes crumbled feta cheese. It's simple but really yummy.

Stacy- I am really looking forward to making the curry! Have a great week everybody!!

4 comments:

carrie said...

What a fun experience! And I love that they paid you in wine.

Could you post one or two of your favorite crock pot recipes? We are trying to use our crock pot on Sundays even through the summer because we get home so late from church and are all starving...Thanks Eva!

Eva said...

Sure! Coming soon...

Rachel said...

Sounds like fun, Eva! Just one more experience to add to your list!

Tisha said...

I was hoping for one of your crock pot recipes too. I have one, but never know what to cook in it! Thanks for sharing your bottling experience.