Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tried the Tofu Curry

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yuuuuuuuuum! I really love Thai curry and this did not let me down. Thanks, Stacita! I cooked it according to the recipe with just one adjustment. I used Thai fish sauce instead of soy sauce. I had some on hand, and I had previously read the following (on a Thai cooking website) :
Fish sauce is one of the oldest ingredients in the world. Soy sauce was invented as a way to create a cheaper alternative to fish sauce thousands of years ago in China. Fish sauce is essential to Thai food. Make sure you buy a Thai brand as other (mostly Vietnamese) brands taste very different.
Interesting, huh? For those of you who are scared of fishy-ness, I find that fish sauce, despite its name, does not add a fishy taste, but an interesting salty taste. I used only 1 Tsbp of fish sauce in place of the 2 Tbsp soy sauce because I find it much saltier.
One other thing. Although the recipe is clear, somehow I got it into my brain that the tofu would be cubed. It was only after I had cubed it that I realized that it was wrong. I guess that wouldn't make much of a difference, though, right? Duh! Also, my sauce didn't reduce into a glaze. I love it how it turned out, so I wasn't disappointed, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone wanted to offer feedback.
I am so happy that my husband is out of town so I don't have to share! ahahaha! It's going to be great as a leftover and I plan on eating again for every meal until it's gone. Once again, thanks Stacy!

1 comment:

stacita said...

Awesome! I was starting to feel afraid that no one would try it! I always put fish sauce in my green curry, but never my red (not at all sure why). I will definately try next time. Thanks, Alyssa!