Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pan Seared Tofu with Thai Red Curry Sauce

Alright ladies, here it is! I decided to go with a recipe I already know, though next time I may pick one I've been meaning to try. I may really annoy some of you with my open-ended cooking style, obvious within all the parentheses. :) I like to be flexible, and usually view recipes as an outline rather than something to be followed exactly.
A few notes first: The Thai Red Curry Paste is easy to find. I even bought it in South Dakota (not a gourmet mecca). I buy the Thai Kitchen red curry paste found in most Asian sections and in all Asian grocery stores. Also, if you (or those you're feeding) really don't want tofu, I bet this would be delicious with chicken or shrimp. I serve this with edamame as a starter and a big green salad or veggies on the side. Edamame is found in the frozen veggie section . I boil it in the pods for about 3-5 minutes, drain, rinse with cold water and toss with some course kosher salt. Yum. Don't eat the pods. I only say this, because I had a friend who did and obviously hated edamame! :)
1/2 C unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 C veg. broth
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs fresh lime
1-2 tsp Thai Red Curry Paste (start with 1 tsp and add more as needed. We like it spicy, so sometimes I end up adding a lot more!)
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbs roasted peanut oil (I use whatever I have)
1 lb. extra-firm or firm tofu, cut crosswise into eight ½ inch thick slabs and blotted dry between several layers of paper towels or a cloth kitchen towel (I put a weight such as a pan on top)
1/4 C chopped salted peanuts (my kids like more)
cup fresh cilantro leaves (we use more)

Combine the coconut milk, broth, soy sauce, lime juice, curry paste, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat the oil in a lrge nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add tofu and cook until golden brown, 6-7 minutes. Turn the tofu and cook until golden brown on the second side, about 5 minutes.

Add coconut milk mixture to the pan and simmer, turning the tofu once, until the liquid reduces to a thick syrup and the tofu is glazed, about 2 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and peanuts.

We love this on rice or as a side dish for sauteed veggies. Sometimes I double the sauce, so there's more for the rice and I have been known to add red pepper and green onion. Let me know if you have questions!

3 comments:

carrie said...

Sounds good to me...know how can I trick my husband into eating tofu...

:)

Serena said...

Sounds yummy... can't wait to make it..mmm

Rachel said...

Stacy! This sounds delicous! (Did I spell that right?) I can't wait to get settled in Calif and make it!