Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Kudos to Rachel!!!!

This recipe was so much fun! I made it Sunday night because 1. I had someone other than myself and my 15 month old to eat it and 2. I had to prep a dinner, go to the airport and return home to feed a slightly hung-over (or so I wrongly assumed) sister returning from vegas quickly so she could go to sleep before working early Monday am.

So, let's see I actually did use the port wine in the tenderloin and surprisingly didn't mess with the recipe at all. I tend to doctor every recipe and never measure when I cook. But, to be good I measured everything and followed it to the letter! It turned out great! My sister and I loved it! Katrina really liked the sauce and thought the orzo was fun to smear on her face so that is a good sign right? For the orzo I did change that recipe. I did all the cooking the same as Rachel said but, at the end I substituted some halved cherry tomatoes, and basil for the lemon juice and dill. I used spinach and zucchini and it was fabulous! I think the dill and lemon would be great but I chose to buy the port rather than dill and a lemon so there it is!

We decided this is a definite do over and my sisters roommate also loved the leftovers!

As for ideas on the left over port one thing I have done often is....
using chicken, turkey or pork cutlets I dredge them in flour with salt and pepper, and saute them in a bit of olive oil. When they are done I remove them and make a pan sauce. For the sauce you pour appx. 1/2 c. port wine into the pan and deglaze it. I usually let it cook down just for a minute or two and then add 2 T dried cherries, 2 tsp seedless rasp. jam and let them cook for a couple minutes. Right before I serve it I add about 1 T of butter. Pour sauce over meat and serve!

Hope that give you all an idea on how to use some more of the wine. Little by little our bottles will be gone! By the way, I have substituted everything in that recipe so have fun with it!

2 comments:

stacita said...

Really yummy idea for the pan sauce!

Rachel said...

Sounds like you had fun! I am glad! Thanks for the port idea, I am going to try it.