Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Crock Pot Queen!!

Ok so I just can't mislead you, I am far from being a crock pot queen. I actually don't know a million crock pot recipes and I can't answer all your lingering crock pot questions, BUT... I really do like the crock pot and I have a few good ones. Sorry I have waited so long to post them. The first one is amazingly good but just don't look at the ingredients as you prepare it! (brown sugar and cola?? healthy.) The second one is nothing radical but it is just a good and sensible roast (Nice for a Sunday dinner, Carrie)

Cola Barbecued Ribs

3 1/2 lb pork spareribs or loin back ribs
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon hickory smoked salt (or I use 1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple cloves of minced garlic)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup cola
1 1/4 cups barbecue sauce

In small bowl mix brown sugar, hickory smoked salt and pepper; rub mixture onto ribs. Cut ribs into 2- or 3-rib portions (I buy the ones already cut) Place ribs into cooker and pour cola over ribs. Cook on low heat setting for 8 to 9 hours. Remove ribs from cooker and place in shallow baking pan. Drain liquid from cooker and discard. Brush both sides of ribs with barbecue sauce. Return ribs to cooker. Pour any remaining barbecue sauce over ribs. Cover and cook on low setting about 1 hour longer or until ribs are glazed.

Caramelized Onion Pot Roast

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 boneless beef chuck roast (4lbs)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 medium onions, sliced
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3/4 cup beer
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

In skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place onions in cooker, place beef on onions. In medium bowl mix remaining ingredients and pour over beef and onions. Cover and cook over low heat 8 to 10 hours.

2 comments:

carrie said...

Thanks so much Eva can't wait to try them!

Cahill Clan said...

WOW! I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one that has issues with crock pots! I just haven't got into the groove of them yet! Now, I may just have to try something!