Introducing Creativity To The Alternative Diet: Many of us have segued from traditional dietary lifestyle to alternative dietary lifestyles, i.e. Gluten free, Vegan, Grain free, Real food, etc. What are we discovering?? These recipes are NOT mediocre!

Monday, June 23, 2008

Mojito Mania!


So we, or really I should say I, were on a serious Mojito kick this weekend, I say I because I think I drank like 6 to J man's 1. Anyway fresh mint is in the garden and it is Mojito time! I made regular ones on Friday but then did Pineapple Mojitos on Saturday. I thought they were really good and just a nice twist on the classic Mojito and thought I'd share the recipe. Honestly though I didn't follow it exactly kind of just used it as a base to start from. I also found in a mag a recipe for Peach Mojitos that I'm anxious to try once Peaches are in season here but I'll share that one as well.

Pineapple Mojitos (serves 8) (or 1 who wants to have alot of fun! JK (that means just kidding)

1 bunch fresh mint, stems discarded
2 limes cut into 8 wedges
1/2 cup sugar (we've used powdered sugar as well)
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup canned crushed pineapple
1 cup light run
4 cups ice cubes
1 cup club soda

In each of the 8 highball glasses (nice if you have them...we do not...coffee cups anyone?) crush together one-eighth of the mint leaves, 2 lime wedges and 1 tablespoon of sugar . Stir in 2 tablespoons pineapple juice 2 tablespoons of crushed pineapple and 2 tablespoons of rum until sugar is dissolved. Add 1.2 cup of club soda to each glass. Serve immediately.


Peach Mojitos

3 cups coarsely chopped peeled rip peaches (about a pound)
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 large limes)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed mint leaves
2 cups white rum
4 cups club soda chilled
Crushed ice
Mint sprigs (optional)

Place peaches in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Press peach puree through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Combine rind, lime juice, sugar and mint in a large pitcher; crush juice mixture with back of a long spoon. Add peach puree and rum to pitcher, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in club soda. Serve over crushed ice. Garnish with mint sprigs if desired (says 10 servings of 2/3 cup each, I think it sounds too good to spread out that far!)

I'm drooling as I write this!

4 comments:

Eva said...

Yum Carrie.

Your picture looks like it's from a magazine. Beautiful!

carrie said...

Thanks for the confidence in my camera abilities Eva but I actually did snag this from the web...I was going to take pics of ours but drank them too fast! :)

Serena said...

MMmmm Yummy! I'll have to try these out!

Tisha said...

I am always looking for tasty drink recipes - thanks Carrie. What a refreshing drink for a hot day (too bad we don't really get hot days in juneau - haha).